Ohio Law

News and Announcements from the Supreme Court of Ohio and Other Governmental Entities Within the Buckeye State.

Monday, August 15, 2005

New Opinions from the Supreme Court of Ohio's Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline

OPINION 2005-6

Decided August 8, 2005

SYLLABUS: A lawyer or law firm should not participate in a local television station’s advertising and public service program if entitled “Ask the Expert.” The program name, not the program itself, is objectionable under the disciplinary rules. Lawyers may not hold themselves out as experts. If a television station’s advertising and public service program is properly titled, the lawyer’s participation is proper so long as the lawyer is able to comply with his or her ethical duties under the Ohio Code of Professional Conduct.

OPINION 2005-7

Issued August 5, 2005

SYLLABUS: It is proper for attorneys to volunteer in a bar association sponsored program providing public education and pro bono legal services regarding advance directive forms. The term “advance directive” refers to living will, health-care power of attorney, and anatomical gift forms, and to mental health declarations. Such efforts by the bar association and the volunteer attorneys help educate the public and provide access for individuals without means to afford such legal assistance.

Whether it is proper for individual lawyers or law firms, acting on their own and not through a proper auspice such as a bar association, to provide public education and pro bono legal services regarding advance directive forms depends upon the facts and circumstances. The propriety is determined by the purpose and the conduct. It would be proper if the lawyer’s or law firm’s purpose is to provide needed public education and pro bono legal services and there is no improper solicitation of legal business. It would be improper if the purpose and modus operandi is in-person solicitation of legal business.

OPINION 2005-8

Issued August 5, 2005

SYLLABUS: In the absence of an express ethical or statutory restriction, a retired judge who engages in the practice of law may also serve as a private judge pursuant to R.C. § 2701.10. To avoid an appearance of impropriety, a retired judge should not practice law in the court in which he or she frequently accepts referrals as a private judge and should not act as a lawyer in any proceeding in which he or she served as a private judge or in any related proceeding.

Later




9 Comments:

  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger Dream Builder said…

    Great blog here! I really enjoyed the topic you chose to write about. I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a mlm business opportunity site. It pretty much covers mlm business opportunity related stuff. Come and check it out if you get time :-)

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger hiro said…

    Help! I am lost. I was searching for colorado lawyer and somehow ended up here. How that happened I don't know, however I do like your Blog a lot. Would you mind if I add your Blog to my favorites page so others can visit?

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger Tom Naka said…

    Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my health insurance for nursing student
    related site. It pretty much covers health insurance for nursing student
    stuff. I guess you may find something of interest.

     
  • At 6:20 AM, Blogger Johnjon said…

    Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about home base business opportunity You should check it out sometime.

     
  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger Sports Junky said…

    Your post is great and let me say

    A favorite pastime of mine is Sports Betting to make a few extra bucks.
    My only problems is that I was never good at picking teams or games.
    Recently I found a site that is like Sports Betting but I dont lose my money if my pick is bad.

    Its a sports stock market, kinda like NASDAQ. which makes a big difference because if I buy shares in a team. I keep the stock whether they win or lose, but as a bonus I get paid divdends if they win.
    So I can make money with dividends and also from selling high and buying low.

    I buy shares in NFL, NASCAR, NCAAB, MLB, Golf, Tennis ect....
    They just released Some Great IPOS's this week!

    Heres a link http://allsportsmarket.com
    you can log in and check it out for free..


    Keep up the good work on your blog!
    -Erik

     
  • At 4:17 AM, Blogger cards65 said…

    Excellent blog on home based business marketing.
    Please visit home based business marketing

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Blogger Swingin80 said…

    Cool blog you have. I have a work from home based business related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is work from home based business

     
  • At 1:41 AM, Blogger brian said…

    I have a related health supplement blog you might want to check out

     
  • At 10:24 PM, Blogger grant said…

    Hi what a great blog,make money working from home. If you have time pay me a visit.make money working from home

     

Post a Comment

<< Home